Objectives: Occurrence of heat-tolerant free-living amoebae in the Nile, tap and swimming-pool waters in the Nile Delta region, Egypt. Morpho-physiological, biochemical and molecular characterization of the isolated strains of free-living amoebae.
Materials & Methods: Cultivation of free-living amoebae on non-nutrient agar.Identification of the isolated strains based on the morphology of cyst and trophozoite forms as well as temperature and osmo-tolerance assays. Biochemical characterization of the isolated amoeba strains using quantitative and qualitative (SDS-PAGE) assays as well as qualitative determination of proteolytic activity in zymograph analysis.
Results: Potentially pathogenic free-living amoebae were isolated from all of the examined water sources. Colorimetric assays showed protease activity in heat-tolerant isolates of Acanthamoeba and Naegleria. All pathogenic isolates exhibited higher protease activity than non-pathogenic ones did. The zymographic protease assays showed various banding patterns for different strains of Acanthamoeba and Naegleria.
Conclusion: The incidence and prevalence of the pathogenic free-living amoebae in different populations using parasitological and biochemical diagnostic tools will provide baseline data against which the risk factors associated with waterborne transmission can be identified.
Bekir OGUZ has completed his PhD at the age of 29 years from Yuzuncu Yıl University. He is thernAssisstant Prof, in Parasitology, Veterinary Faculty. He has published more than 6 papers inrnreputed journals.
Cockroaches are claimed to be mechanical transmitters of disease causing microorganismsrnsuch as intestinal parasites, bacteria, fungi, and viruses. A study was conducted to determine thernrole of cockroaches as potential carriers of parasites of medical importance in Van, Turkey. Onernhundred and thirty-eight cockroaches were collected from different parts of apartments and housesrnaround the town from March to April 2014. All of the collected cockroaches were identified tornspecies as Blatella germanica. They were examinated for isolation and identification of humanrnintestinal parasites from external surface of cockroaches. The results show that 66 (48 %) of therncockroaches harbored parasitic organisms. Of these, 96.6 % were protozoa and the remaining 3.4 %rnwere helminthes. Of the isolated helminthes, the species included Toxocara sp. (3 %), Ascarisrnlumbricoides (3 %), Trichostrongylus sp. (1.5 %), Trichuris trichiura (1.5 %), unidentifiedrnnematode egg samples (3 %). The protozoa types that were identified included Endolimax nana (7.6rn%), Blastocystis hominis (41 %), Entamoeba histolytica/E. dispar (16.7 %), Eimeria spp. (7.6 %),rnChilomastix mesnilli ( 4.5 %), Entamoeba coli (35 %), Giardia sp. ( 13.6 %), Iodamoeba butschliirn(7.6 %). In conclusion, Blattella germenica was found to harbor intestinal parasites of public healthrnimportance. Hence, awareness on the potential role of cockroaches in the mechanical transmissionrnof human intestinal parasites needs to be created. Therefore, control of cockroaches willrnsubstantially minimize the spread of infectious diseases in our environment.